To receive updates via SMS on new seminar, webinar, and master class training open to the public, please text: ASKMARIATODD to 43506 (U.S. Only).
You will receive a confirmation text to confirm your opt-in.
If you do not confirm, you will not receive additional notices. You may opt out at any time by texting STOP to 43506.
Introduction to Managed Care for New Hires
September 9 @ 09:00 - September 10 @ 16:30 MDT
Introduction to Managed Care for New Hires
This course describes the “nuts and bolts” of managed care and thoroughly covers the issues surrounding payer contract analysis and negotiation. Selected modules from this course are valuable for management and clinicians throughout a hospital or health system as an on-site private course or through an association as a membership learning activity.
WHAT YOU'LL DISCUSS IN CLASS
- In introduction to 22 managed care models (HMO, PPO, POS) and payer organizations
- Understanding carve-outs, inpatient stop-loss, short-stay stop-loss, and withhold pools
- An overview of various payment models implemented around the nation
- How to engage physicians in utilization and quality of care documentation and analysis
- Pre-negotiation preparation
- Key negotiation strategies via email, by phone and face-to-face
- Understanding how payers evaluate their risks through actuaries and underwriters and retrospective claims analysis
- Preparing for outcomes-based reimbursement and pay-for-performance program incentives
- A discussion of recent legislative changes and proposals affecting Medicare Advantage Programs
COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Course participants will
- Identify key factors that influenced the changes in managed care organizations
- Understand the various managed care models and relevant state and federal regulations
- Key issues surrounding insurer medical cost ratio (MCR) or medical loss ratio (MLR) statistics
- Understand various cost-sharing innovations and strategies used by payers, health facilities, and employers in managed care agreements
- Learn how coordination of benefits works with Medicare, Medicare Advantage, TRICARE, Medicare Secondary Payer, Medicaid, Auto Accident, Work comp and Travel Insurance
- Learn an overview of the various reimbursement strategies by payers to pay physicians
- How to succeed and grow profits under capitated payer arrangements
- How to succeed and grow profits and mitigate untoward risk under fully-inclusive bundled case rate arrangements
- Know what to expect in a typical payer or employer-direct contract negotiation process
- How case management and care navigation improve care delivery while reducing overall health delivery costs
- Understanding IPAs, PHOs, MSOs and ACOs: Why they exist, how things can go sideways for a network in very short order
- Understanding NCQA: Its market influence, crosswalks of certain key standards for health plans that providers must know and understand
- Explain the effects of healthcare supplier and facility branding and increased consumer sophistication
- Learn what to make of outcomes-based reimbursement offers and key incentives related to pay-for-performance programs: Questions to ask; How to decide
Instructional Method: Master Class (Training, Q&A, Practicum, Critique) NOTE: Class size is limited to ensure individual attention for each participant.
Designed for: New hires in revenue management and managed care with 5 years' experience or less; physicians, therapists, ASC and hospital leadership, new board members, individuals responsible for denied claims appeals and contract performance decision support and audit.
Advance Preparation: None
Course Availability: Scheduled dates and on-demand by healthcare organizations and associations
Fields of Study:
- Specialized Knowledge: 13.0 hours
- Total hours: 13.0
What's Included with Registration:
- Course materials on USB Drive
- Signed copy of The Managed Care Contracting Handbook, 2nd Edition by Maria Todd ($85 retail value)
- Hot breakfast each day of class ($30 value)
- Hot lunch each day of class ($36 value)
- Break refreshments
- Free Wi-Fi access
- Waiver of Resort Fee at the hotel ($30 value)
- Shuttle from SGU Airport and return when you stay at Red Mountain Resort and Spa ($70 value)
Venue: Red Mountain Resort and Spa
Reservations: Contact Lindy Overton 435-652-5744 for special room rates for this event.
Your signed copy of this hardback textbook is included in the registration price.
International: Flights in excess of 3 hours’ flying time shall be booked in business class. Short commuter flights (<2h) between key hub airports may be flown in economy seats.
Domestic: Flights in excess of 3 hour’s flying time shall be booked in first class. Short commuter flights (<2h) between key hub airports may be flown in economy seats.
Preferred Airlines: AA, QR, CX, JO, (OneWorld); UA, LH, SA, SQ, (Star Alliance);
Home Airport: SGU (St George, Utah, USA)
Booking Date Reservations: Dates will be confirmed upon receipt of 50% deposit of non-refundable professional speaker fees. In the event your event is cancelled or postponed, you may apply speaker fees deposited on account to another date subject to Dr. Todd’s availability, less a 40% administrative fee. Please purchase changeable and/or refundable air tickets and hotel accommodation if there is any risk that your event will be cancelled or postponed.
Travel Expense Policy: All travel expenses (air, hotel, ground transfers, car rental, parking, hotel internet service fees, travel meals, visa fees, departure taxes, checked baggage fees, any required travel immunizations and travel/accident and flight cancellation insurance) and/or per diem allowances must be paid by event organizer, at the time of booking and in all cases, at least 30 days prior to departure. No exceptions.